Serves 2 (or possiby 6)
- 50g (2 oz) margarine
- 50g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 175g (6 oz) digestive biscuits
- Juice and grated zest of 1 Lemon
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp agar
- 225g (8 oz) vegan soft cheese
- 150 ml (1/4 pt) soya milk
- 80g (3 oz) caster sugar
- For the base, melt the margarine and caster sugar over a gentle heat.
- Stir in the crushed digestive biscuits and mix well.
- Press the mixture into the base of a 20cm (8″) round springform cake tin in an even layer, then chill in the fridge until needed.
- Soften the vegan soft cheese with a wooden spoon in a large bowl.
- Mix in the soya milk and caster sugar. Leave to stand.
- Mix the agar with the 4 tbsp of water in a saucepan
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the agar flakes are mostly dissolved.
- Mix in the lemon juice and zest and pour into the bowl with the cheese/milk/sugar mix (it starts to set fairly quickly as it cools) and stir well.
- Pour into the base and chill the whole thing for 3-4 hours.
- Decorate with strawberries or similar.
The recipe calls for gelatine or vegan alternative but agar and gelatine are prepared differently, so I’ve had to kind of improvise that bit. Sometimes it seems there’s too much agar, or that maybe the lemon juice should be added earlier, so there’s room for experimentation.