- 300g (10 oz) dates, halved
- 375ml (13fl oz) soya milk
- 150ml (5fl oz) water
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 170g (6 oz) margarine
- 170g (6 oz) soft brown sugar
- 300g (10 oz) white self raising flour
- 3/16 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g (5 oz) golden syrup
- 300g (10 oz) soft brown sugar
- 225g (8 oz) margarine
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 150ml (5fl oz) soya cream
- Preheat oven to 190c
- Line a 20cm x 20cm shallow cake tin with baking parchment
- For the sponge: put the chopped dates into a saucepan with the soya milk and water, simmer until dates are softened.
- Take off the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
- Beat together the margarine and sugar until creamy.
- Add the date mix and stir in.
- Mix the flour, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon.
- Sieve the dry mix into the date mix and fold in.
- Spoon the sponge mix into the cake tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked.
- For the sauce: melt the syrup, sugar, margarine and vanilla essence in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Leave to cool slightly then mix in the soya cream.
- Once the sponge is cooked, prick it all over, and pour half the sauce over the sponge. The rest can be added when served.
This is a slightly modified version of the recipe found at http://demuths.co.uk/rachels-blog/article/sticky_toffee_pudding