- 75g (3oz) margarine
- 12 small onions or 3 large onions, chopped into chunks
- 1tbsp flour
- 2 pints of stock (2 cubes)
- 1 pinch mixed herbs
- 4tbsp barley
- Melt margarine and fry onions until browned evenly.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Add stock, herbs and barley.
- Bring to boil, and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes.
Replace barley with small pasta (“pasta for soup”, back in the day), adding the pasta after around 20 minutes of cooking (rather than at step 3), and reduce simmering time to 30 minutes.
This was a favourite soup from our time in Glasgow, hence the name.